Updates, commentary, training and advice on immigration and asylum law

Permanent residence for bereaved spouse


Older content is locked

A great deal of time and effort goes into producing the information on Free Movement, become a member of Free Movement to get unlimited access to all articles, and much, much more


By becoming a member of Free Movement, you not only support the hard-work that goes into maintaining the website, but get access to premium features;

  • Single login for personal use
  • FREE downloads of Free Movement ebooks
  • Access to all Free Movement blog content
  • Access to all our online training materials
  • Access to our busy forums
  • Downloadable CPD certificates

Permanent residence for bereaved spouse

The Court of Appeal has held that a third country national is entitled to permanent residence where she was married to an EU citizen with permanent residence who died after experiencing permanent incapacity to work. This does not apply where the EU citizen acquired permanent residence through five years’ exercise of Treaty rights, however.

Relevant articles chosen for you
Picture of Colin Yeo

Colin Yeo

Immigration and asylum barrister, blogger, writer and consultant at Garden Court Chambers in London and founder of the Free Movement immigration law website.