Updates, commentary, training and advice on immigration and asylum law

New independent complaint investigation service launched by Home Office


Older content is locked

A great deal of time and effort goes into producing the information on Free Movement, become a member of Free Movement to get unlimited access to all articles, and much, much more


By becoming a member of Free Movement, you not only support the hard-work that goes into maintaining the website, but get access to premium features;

  • Single login for personal use
  • FREE downloads of Free Movement ebooks
  • Access to all Free Movement blog content
  • Access to all our online training materials
  • Access to our busy forums
  • Downloadable CPD certificates

The Home Office has set up a new independent complaint investigation service. Now, if you are unhappy with the Home Office’s final response to a complaint, you can make a further complaint to the Independent Examiner of Complaints (IEC).

This is an independent post looking into whether the Home Office has worked in line with its procedures and guidance. But complaints can only be considered in certain circumstances:

  • If a final response has been received that explains that you can bring it to the Office for the Independent Examiner of Complaints if you are unhappy with the outcome.
  • Contact has to be made within three months of receiving the final complaint response.

Complaints about certain business areas can be considered, including:

  • UK visa and Immigration
  • Immigration Enforcement
  • Border Force
  • Detention and Escorting Services
  • HM Passport Office

The complaint may be about a delay or an error, poor service or advice, or a failure to follow the correct procedures.

There are a number of circumstances where complaints cannot be looked at. These include where Home Office decisions carry review or appeal rights, where they have been or are the subject of judicial review or other court proceedings, or which fall under the remit of the Windrush Compensation Scheme.

A complaint can be made using this form.

Relevant articles chosen for you