Updates, commentary, training and advice on immigration and asylum law
Sir David Metcalf named as the first Director of Labour Market Enforcement
THANKS FOR READING
Older content is locked
A great deal of time and effort goes into producing the information on Free Movement, become a member of Free Movement to get unlimited access to all articles, and much, much more
TAKE FREE MOVEMENT FURTHER
By becoming a member of Free Movement, you not only support the hard-work that goes into maintaining the website, but get access to premium features;
- Single login for personal use
- FREE downloads of Free Movement ebooks
- Access to all Free Movement blog content
- Access to all our online training materials
- Access to our busy forums
- Downloadable CPD certificates
Sir David Metcalf has today (5 January 2017) been named as the first Director of Labour Market Enforcement to oversee a government crackdown on exploitation in the workplace.
Sir David, who was chairman of the Migration Advisory Committee until August 2016, will set the strategic priorities for the:
- Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority
- Employment Agency Standards Inspectorate
- HMRC’s National Minimum Wage enforcement team
The appointment follows the commencement on 25 November 2016 of labour market enforcement undertakings and orders under the Immigration Act 2016, which can ultimately lead to criminal prosecutions and prison sentences of up to 2 years for businesses which mistreat their workers.
For more details on how these work, see my ebook on the Immigration Act 2016.