Updates, commentary, training and advice on immigration and asylum law

Permission to work for Zimbabwe asylum seekers?


Older content is locked

A great deal of time and effort goes into producing the information on Free Movement, become a member of Free Movement to get unlimited access to all articles, and much, much more


By becoming a member of Free Movement, you not only support the hard-work that goes into maintaining the website, but get access to premium features;

  • Single login for personal use
  • FREE downloads of Free Movement ebooks
  • Access to all Free Movement blog content
  • Access to all our online training materials
  • Access to our busy forums
  • Downloadable CPD certificates


There is a reasonably credible rumour doing the rounds amongst lawyers as well as Zimbabweans themselves that Zimbabwean asylum seekers can apply for permission to work – presumably with a reasonable expectation of the application being granted.

The application is to be made to the CEBU (Central Event Booking Unit, apparently) team at the UK Border Agency, on fax number 0151 237 6391. Details required are: name, address, Home Office reference number (e.g. A123456), person’s signature and the following sentence “I would like to know if I can have permission to work”.

ILPA are currently seeking to establish that the rumour is well founded and I’ll post more news if I hear any.

Relevant articles chosen for you
Picture of Free Movement

Free Movement

The Free Movement blog was founded in 2007 by Colin Yeo, a barrister at Garden Court Chambers specialising in immigration law. The blog provides updates and commentary on immigration and asylum law by a variety of authors.


One Response

  1. Zimbabweans, I here, have been getting their papers. I guess because they can’t deport them at the mo’ so better they work and pay taxes (from the Govt’s point of veiw). Do you think the remaining Zimbabweans here in the UK without residency should apply now? Which types of applications on the rumour mill are yielding the best results?