Updates, commentary, training and advice on immigration and asylum law

A long time to be separated


Older content is locked

A great deal of time and effort goes into producing the information on Free Movement, become a member of Free Movement to get unlimited access to all articles, and much, much more


By becoming a member of Free Movement, you not only support the hard-work that goes into maintaining the website, but get access to premium features;

  • Single login for personal use
  • FREE downloads of Free Movement ebooks
  • Access to all Free Movement blog content
  • Access to all our online training materials
  • Access to our busy forums
  • Downloadable CPD certificates

My client today applied for a spouse visa in May 2012. A refusal was eventually issued in November 2012. The appeal took place today, 14 months after the application and 8 months after the refusal. The hearing took 20 minutes and it was allowed there and then by the judge. It could be another two or three months until the Home Office get around to issuing the visa, I warned.

This is no way to run an immigration system for human beings.

Relevant articles chosen for you
Picture of Colin Yeo

Colin Yeo

Immigration and asylum barrister, blogger, writer and consultant at Garden Court Chambers in London and founder of the Free Movement immigration law website.


4 Responses

  1. Good for them. But lucky to be able to afford the fees. I am a pensioner and have been separated from my wife since January 2011. No help from my MP and cannot afford the fees so stuck in limbo land!

  2. I am a father been separated from my twin kids 4 years now and only granted leave that wont allow me to bring them over… they where born here left around 2 years they are 6 now what to do

  3. what was your client’s status when the refusal was issued ?I mean the months before the appeal was lodged, was he or she legal or the illegal prior to succeeding at the appeals.

  4. The worst scenario it is, even students who applied PSW Visa are still fighting for it while more than one year has been passed. some of them can not go to homeland even funeral of their parents.

Or become a member of Free Movement today
Verified by MonsterInsights